To inspire young people with a lifetime love of music. To instill habits that lead to higher levels of musicianship. I want show people that music can be a friend for life, the way it has been for me.
Taught private lessons in saxophone, flute, piano, music theory and improvisation.
Plays these instruments professionally:
- Alto, tenor, baritone and soprano saxophones
Plays piano for accompaniment and as a teaching tool.
20 years of professional band experience:
- Hot Club Time Machine (Gypsy Jazz) 2013-Present
- Johnny Ward’s Sharkskin Revue (Blues, Jazz, and R&B) 2008-Present
- The Barkers (Rock and Americana) 2008-2013
- Chata Addy and Susuma (African Highlife and Reggae) 1996-2008
- Do Jump Theater (Klezmer and Jazz, accompanying dance performance) 1998-2008
- Belmont St. Octet (Jazz and R&B) 1996-2006
- O.B. Addy and I&I (Reggae) 2000-2004
- The Redeemers (Rock, Soul, and Funk) 2000-2004
- BA with honors in Philosophy, Lewis and Clark College
- Classes in music theory and performance at Lewis and Clark.
- Studied improvisation with jazz master Andrew Hill.
- Studied composition with composer Tomas Svoboda.
- Decades of self-motivated learning and practicing.
- Years of experience in youth choirs.
- Years of private lessons in flute and saxophone.
- An expert at all the saxophones, flute, and clarinet.
- Skilled enough to teach beginners on ukulele, piano, and voice.
- Experience with a wide variety of musical styles, from classical to jazz, funk, and african music.
- Experience teaching wind instruments, piano, and music theory.
- An excellent communicator who can relate to young children and teenagers.
- Deep knowledge of music theory and improvisation.
- Extensive performance background.
- Strong knowledge of music history, especially jazz.